Four Chaplains Nursing Care Center Helps Stroke Patient Restore Independence

Edward McMahon is a 74 year old man admitted to Four Chaplains on September 22, 2012. He has been married to his wife, Patricia, for 50 years and together, they have two sons, both who live locally and provide great support. Ed and his wife have two grandchildren, ages 10 and 12, who keep them busy with sports and other activities. Ed has been retired since 1999 from AAA, where he worked as a supervisor in the purchasing stock room. According to his wife, he worked there for 43 years, but was so happy to see the face of retirement. Over the years, his hobbies have come to include cowboy movies, bowling, and baseball. His wife shared that he played semi-pro baseball in his younger years, but decided to join the work force at AAA right after high school.

Ed grew up in Detroit and was the youngest of nine children, 2 boys and 7 girls. It was surely a busy household. In recent years, Ed maintained his independence and has remained very active. He was driving, managing his own affairs, and very self-sufficient in his daily routine. On August 29, 2012, Ed began his day just like any other. Following an outing with his wife, she began to notice some confusion that became progressively worse over the course of the day. She made the decision to take him to the hospital, at which time things took a turn for the worse. He was diagnosed with a stroke and brain bleed and subsequently admitted to the hospital for the next several weeks.

After his discharge from the hospital, Ed was admitted to Four Chaplains Nursing Care Center on September 22, 2012 for rehabilitation. He received physical, occupational and speech therapy over the next three months, which demanded every ounce of energy he could find. When his difficult journey began for Ed, he was completely reliant on staff to assist with his care and was only able to communicate minimally due to the degree of his confusion. He was also receiving all of his nutrition via a feeding tube. With much hard work, dedication and support from the staff and his family, Ed began the long road to recovery. His wife tells the staff that the most important focus for Ed during this long struggle was that “He just wanted to go home.”

On December 31, 2012, Ed was discharged to his home and his wife. He was able to communicate as he did prior to his medical concerns, including telling jokes and socializing with staff and residents. His feeding tube has been removed and he is able to maintain a regular diet without any problems. Ed was walking with a rolling walker and dressing himself with staff assisting minimally. We are so pleased with the hard work and dedication that Ed has put forth, as well as the continued support from his family. We wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Leave a Reply